Friday, December 19, 2008

Legacy... By Alicia Collette


Many of the pioneers had constant faith and dedication to the Lord in whatever they were asked to do. For many of the Pioneers it took enormous amount of faith to leave everything they knew behind to journey west with the Prophet Brigham Young, especially when they had no clue what to expect on the trail nor upon arriving at their destination. How the saints must have felt, leaving so much behind- their farms, houses, the temple they had just finished. Personally Temples are marvelous to me. Whenever my sister and I would drive down to utah for something, we would always end up stopping at one of the Temples just to enjoy being in its presence. I have lived within 20 minutes of a Temple my entire life and I can’t imagine taking so much time and effort to build a house of the Lord just to leave it behind. That would have been the hardest part for me.

The pioneers were also the first ones to journey west and to try and settle here. That meant there were few trails to follow and to know where to go. In 1868 Brigham Young commented on their coming here. “We made and broke the road from Nauvoo to this place…Some of the time we followed Indian trails; some of the time we ran by the compass. When we left the Missouri River we followed the Platte. And we killed rattlesnakes by the cord in some places; and made roads and built bridges till our backs ached. Where we could not build bridges across rivers we ferried our people across, until we arrived here, where we found a few naked Indians, a few wolves and rabbits, and any amount of crickets; but as for any green tree or a fruit tree, or any green fields, we found nothing of the kind, with the exception of a few cottonwoods and willows on the edge of City Creek. For some 1,200 or 1,300 miles we carried every particle of provisions we had when we arrived here.”


The pioneer journey west was more than just a long walk. They faced horrible weather conditions, wild animals and Indians, and lack of supplies. Many died from starvation and cold. Many had worn out shoes, and the sharp rocks caused their feet to bleed, leaving a trail of blood in the snow. Others buried their children or parents. The excruciating experiences that occurred during their lives caused many of them to develop unshakeable faith in God, which sometimes can only be achieved through hard trials such as these. Those that did not develop the faith were tested even more along the way.


During their trek west, some companies ran into some apostates from the church who were returning from the west, and going back to the East. These apostates tried to persuade some in the companies to turn back. Can you imagine how hard that would have been? Not only had the pioneers been suffering on the trail for so long, but then seeing other members that they probably knew and loved that are saying there is no Zion and that they shouldn’t continue on…Sometime It’s easy to see how they would have given up and returned and a few did but the majority continued onward.


I, myself, have been on two pioneer treks, one in Northern Utah where we hiked up and down a mountain with handcarts and the other just last summer at Martin’s Cove. Both were incredible faith building experiences where I was able to have just a taste of what the pioneers really went through. One of the things I remember the most happened during my first trek after we had climbed up the face of the mountain. It was taking forever to pull up the handcarts over logs and rocks in our way to the top but we knew once we arrived at our destination we’d get lunch. That’s what our leaders promised The whole time I was thinking of all the possibilities of what they might serve us for lunch, kind of encouraging myself to keep going: yummy sandwiches, maybe some juice, crackers or fruit snacks just all my favorites. I’m pretty sure my mouth was watering haha Anyway once we made it to the top of the mountain we were all exhausted and ready for our feast when the bishops hand out our “food boxes”. Basically it was bread, apples, some nasty trail mix. Some of them contained extra things like jam or jerky but not very many. I was distraught! Here I was expecting a meal fit for kings, cause well I just climbed a mountain! And I got what appeared to be your average pioneer snacks. Our leaders wanted us to experience what it was like to LIVE as a pioneer not just walk the trial. Never before had I felt so much respect and love for those who sacrificed so much for the gospel. When you go on treks like this and hear stories about the pioneers and experience things they did, you come to know them as real people. They’re no longer just names in books or people from years before. They become individuals that had families, had trials, difficulties, adventures, likes and dislikes. People like you and me.


President James E Faust said, “In the heroic effort of the pioneers, we learn a great truth. All must pass through a refiner’s fire and the insignificant and unimportant things in our lives can melt away and make our faith bright, intact and strong. There seems to be a full measure of anguish, sorrow, and often heartbreak for everyone, including those who earnestly seek to do right and be faithful. Yet this is part of the purging to become acquainted with God.” The story of the pioneers that crossed the plains is truly one of faith. Faith in every footstep.
Coming to know the pioneers like this also makes me curious about my own ancestors, to know the trials they faced as they prepared the way for my family now. From different sides of family I have relatives that crossed the plains. One of them was only a young child when his family began the journey west and upon arriving in Salt Lake he was the only one still alive. Another one of my ancestors was greatly persecuted in the east before heading west. His farm was burned by mob and he was run from his home. On another side of my family, they weren’t pioneers that crossed the plains but were still pioneers to me. In Europe, before immigrating my great grandfather, Alois Cziep was converted to the gospel and upon doing so, he received a letter from his father. He told him how wrong it was to join the church, how it was all a lie and that he would burn for doing so. It reads; if you decide not to head my words, I shall not speak to you again in this life. Although it took a lot of faith to accept the church and to be disowned by his family, If it wasn’t for his sacrifice I, along with countless other relatives, wouldn’t have been born into this gospel and enjoy the blessings that I do now. He was converted around the time of the Second World War and during the war people in Europe really didn’t have contact with the church leaders, which would have made it even more difficult. My grandma said that for seven years they were praying for the leaders of the church without any contact or news from anyone, only to find out that the prophet they had been praying for had passed away and a new one had been called! Just for comparison, after President Hinckley passed away, thanks to texting, my friends and I knew after three hours. Can you imagine not knowing there was a new prophet for that long? That would have made it even more challenging to stay active, just being so far away from everyone else. I’ve grown up in a bubble of church members and I know it’s just easier.


Other relatives such as my Collette grandparents are both great examples of pioneers because of all they did in their lives to further the gospel. Both served missions of their own and then later served two more missions as a couple. They both have served faithfully in their church callings. My 80 year old grandma has played the organ in her ward and for sessions in the temple for over 50 years. Now she’s one of the ladies in charge of primary. She told me she actually thought the bishop was joking with her when he asked her to accept the calling of a primary teacher. She was all bishop you do know I’m turning 80 right? She truly is an example to me.


When I hear stories about some of the trials that the pioneers had to endure, coming to think of them as individuals, and learn about all that my ancestors endured to be a part of this gospel and to further its growth, It’s humbling to know how much easier my life has been in comparison. It brings a question to mind; what am I doing that is leaving a legacy for those who come after me? I haven’t given up family or friends to be a part of this gospel. I haven’t been persecuted or driven from my home. I haven’t given my life or lost love ones close to me. There are so many things that I and you can still do further this gospel and to leave our legacy. For starters, I’d like to serve a mission. That is one way I can give of my life or at least 18 months of it to this gospel. For the many of you who have already served, there is still so much that can be done. This church is one of service. My patriarchal blessing states that exactly. I’m going to leave you with the words of a song written by Katherine Nelson.

when all is said and done
as the season slips away
when i've taken steps beyond my sight
will i find my strength in greater light
will my courage grow with every passing day
and will my faith be constant as the setting sun
when all is said and done

when all is said and done
and the years have turned to gold
will my life become a legacy
of the things that matter most to me
will the fire of faith grow bright inside me
and will i want to be the person i've become
when all is said and done

when all is said and done
when my eyes can finally see
will i glory in the sweet release
and will mercy fill my soul with peace
will i kneel and wonder at the savior's feet
will i hear him say, "well done"
when he sees who i've become
will i live with him
when all is said and done

My prayer is that we may all be able to living our lives so that others will know of the Legacy we are leaving. The Lord has called us to a great and marvelous work to establish Zion the land of the promise and I hope that this priceless legacy of faith left by the pioneers will inspire all of us to more fully participate in the Lord’s work of bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of His children. I know this church to be true deep in my heart and I am so grateful to those who came before me and prepared the way, for the legacy of faith they leave. I know Christ is our savior and redeemer and that heavenly father loves each and every one of us and knows us personally. I know the book of Mormon to be the word of God and Joseph Smith to be a true prophet of God. I’m so grateful for President Monson the leaders of our church and the examples that they are to me, for leading and guiding us all towards eternal salvation. I know these things to be to true and I leave them with you in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.


1 comment:

Cynthia Hallen said...

You poured out your heart so thoughtfully in this pioneer tribute. Thank you for sharing the experiences of you and your ancestors.